Friday, December 24, 2010

Sexual Orientation, Does it really matter?

Growing up in a family with few gay and bisexual uncles and cousins, ( I'm not shameful to admit it) I see their world through a magnificent window with full of admiration and appreciation. Some may see it vaguely and wrongful because that was the status quo had shown to the world, but to me, having a person with a different social orientation in my circle, is something I couldn't thank enough.

When I was still younger, I have always been consistent of having more boy friends than girls. Simple because I was a tomboy type of girl. I love doing adventurous activities that if having more girl friends will impede me to do. It's only when my grandfather (You know how grandfathers are, and oh yeah, they mean it baby!) had verbally and restricted me to continue befriending with the opposite sex. So I thought, why not have friends that share a common interest apart from the sex matter? They might be boys but their heart is screaming that a chunk of their selves is like me! So there you go. I'm blessed with few, great, good gay and bisexual friends and proud to say that if there are two persons who know every inch of me, one of them is my cousin, and he is bisexual. We can't get enough laughs whenever we are cutting up, doing some crazy things that never fail to make our jaws hurt from laughing upon talking about them. We've shared enjoyable activities, that includes walking 2 miles just to avail a coupon for a free pizza under the blazing summer heat. All these wonderful memories I have had, all boils down from accepting him who he is, building strong bond as cousin and friend, and taking care of the trust he had entrusted to me of whoever he is.

Having a friend from a different social orientation is like basically having the best of both worlds. They can be a girl friend and can also be a boy friend. One thing that I don't deprive myself about having more friends is that I allow these type of people to fully acknowledge that I appreciate their choice to be what they want people to see them, that I want their friendship. When you value their self worth they can the best friend everybody deserves. They would stay up late handing you Kleenex while listening about your recent break-up, or mishap. They never ceases a day without making you laugh, and the fun that comes out naturally whenever you are with them whether you had a bad or good day is something that the society does not see. The society have painted this bad image that having a different social orientation aside from the acceptable is a threat to what has the society has been deliberately isolating them from. That is to be in the world where everybody does not see whatever you are, a world with no more sexual discrimination.

God has created us equally and had bestowed us with extraordinary talents that we all excel on. And we have to commend the huge contribution to the sexual  minorities in terms of fashion, entertainment, and trend-setting projects in this ever changing world. You are just as unique and special like me.  So if you know deep within yourself that you are different, voice it out, and be yourself. Because you know that there are a lot of people that appreciates the self you are.

No comments: