Friday, January 28, 2011

Nursing: A lifelong Commitment starting in "School".

Ok. Let me just take a breath for a sec before I hang off my hiatus.

"Temporary insanity for now...lifetime of success later."


I would have never imagine that after putting myself into Nursing school I'd still be able to write here in my little corner. I'm just glad that I moved another notch higher in this career path I'm working on. Knocking off my second semester,  it's been over 2 weeks since my program has begun and I can tell now that this will be a long, restless, tedious another 14 months of my life. I've been having really, like serious studying time of minimum of 8 hours each day. Now, I can honestly say that to be Practical Nurse is not for everyone. If you are the person that doesn't go over that extra mile to accomplish something so bad, you are barking the wrong tree my friend. 

Negative People! Oh boy they are everywhere. However, they must have mistaken MY classroom as their cafeteria. Every chance we get to have a break, I can't avoid to have someone who is such a pessimistic of her/his performance in school. "I can't know everything", "It's just "a lot" to learn" yada yada yada... (famous lines). Damn right, It's a lot. You want to be a Nurse and make big bucks then the way will be steeper, and rocky before you reach that green pasture. I have told some of my classmates, now my friends to "Not Surround yourself with negative energy because that someone will drag you down." We all know that when you  knock that door for Health Care field, especially Nursing, anticipate hardships, because it's going to be very compact with people vying for "LPN", "RN" titles of competitiveness in this field. The reason is you will be dealing with people's "LIVES" that even a single misplacement of decimal point for a medication dosage does make a difference. So these things has to own your mind. Once you take that life away from someone, Can you give it back?

Everybody can learn something but can't be a teacher. Teacher is an effective person to be able to relay and put the information and knowledge out there to gear up the students and actually have the students receive and understand the rationale behind every subject matter. If you lack even one of those, You are not an effective as you think you are. My classmates and I have been having so much difficulty with this instructor who is very nice indeed but s/he is just not as good as a teacher to get a collective positive feedback from the students. It's the way s/he teaches. We almost think that we have to do it on our own because we don't even know what book s/he is using when lecturing. When we ask, we don't get that definite answer. Yeah, It's hard.

Math Problems now. 
Some of us hasn't been in school for couple of years. Dealing with addition, subtraction, multiplication and dividing fractions and decimals wasn't an activity of daily life to really sit into and solve these operations. I, myself felt rusty at the beginning but it just takes few practice refresher to be able to deal with these operations again. But at lot of us in the room is really having a hard time catching up. Why I am stressing this up? It's because we are using this operations in our Pharmacology class.

I've been frying my brains out with so much information from what the instructors have been telling us to do, memorize by heart and by soul these million words of medical terminologies, Physiological diagrams and bombarding us with pressure to study harder for of course at least 5 quizzes each week, plus huge chapter tests every course, you are looking about 10 times you're brain is to be tested  every week how far you have gone. (whew!) So far, we haven't been weeded out yet but I see it coming. Someone has dropped all his/her classes.  To give you an idea what I will be going through, the previous classes from the past 3 decades had started with over 60 students, and only half of them had taken a state board. (Now I feel more stressed!)

The good part in the opposite of this spectrum is that I've met really nice, helpful, cool friends that I can somehow lean on away from this aghast flora. Also, my husband has been very helpful on helping me catch up with my Math sections which is my weakness. So as my mother in law who serves as my third hand on other things. So far, so good, the grades I've been getting is in equilibrium with my effort which I wish I could maintain up until the end of this program.

I wish everyone who have decided to be a Nurse and be a lifelong care giver. Hang in there!
Let's push that luck!




No comments: