Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Marking my journey to becoming an American citizen



After 3 years, I am flabbergasted of all the things that I've been through in this country. I could even compare my experiences to a Bipolar individual which more often has extreme highs and extreme lows. The glimmering halos and bright lights of Los Angeles, California  on November 10, of 2009 as my POE (port of entry) reminds me of my first day (technically, 1st night)  in the United States. My feelings are squirting in many different directions as to how am I going to start my life here? Where?, and What to do first? By the grace of God and extensive willingness to learn a lot about this country each day, is what propelled me to be someone who knows how it is to start a new beginning  as an alien.

August 25th of this year, I finally mailed off my N-400 Packet which is my Naturalization Application for American citizenship. Being married to a USC (United States Citizen) makes you eligible to apply for naturalization 90 days before your 3 yr period of residency mark in the US, and 5 years on all other visas.  And it seems to me that its whenever you have to mail off a very pertinent cluster of documents, its when the PO screws up, and any other days... expect your mails to be delivered promptly as if its just walking at the park. That day I was mailing off  my packet, (we are talking about Saturday here), I originally wanted to send it off on an Express Mail, then the lady said, "well, it won't get there tomorrow anyway, cos it's Sunday" so I went ahead and told her I will purchase a new envelope and write a different address.(as we are speaking, she already punched in a different zip code in the computer) Did what I have to do, and hand it over to her with the Dallas' address not the Lewisville. But she must've forgotten to rectify the zip code she initially put in the computer so when I called USPS to tracked the packet.. I'll be damn! It's on its way to Lewisville. I thought, You've got to be kidding me!

I can't wait until this whole immigration annoyance to  be over with and hoping this does not have to bring me to my therapist. From the very first filing of my documents which took a year, then to the Removal of Conditions (to replace my expired greencard) that took 10 months, and now... this, which we are projecting to take for at least 3 months.

I'm definitely titillated as to  how this whole Naturalization will turn out and the pace its going to move. It was already terrifying during my interview with a consul back in the embassy, much less with an Immigration officer.

After I received my NOA (notice of action) they will mail me off another notice that will tell me when is my BIOMETRICS schedule at my Local Immigration service center (that will be in New Orleans, LA), then another notice when will be my Interview. If I passed the interview which comprises a CIVICS, GEOGRAPHY and READING/WRITING Test... they will mail me again another notice when I'll be taking my Oath of Naturalization.  Whew! you see? just from typing all these, Im tired already.  :)

A have a lot of work ahead of me in reviewing this booklet I obtained from my friend where most of the interview questions is coming from. I shall read it diligently and religiously; Until then... I'll stop right here, and I'll come back and update you on significant stops of my journey to becoming a USC.

Below will be my timeline of my journey, and little footnotes will be included as I go along. I'd like to thank you for taking the time to read up until this part. 

UPDATE about the address:
My Packet was delivered today, 08/29/2012 @ 4:33 AM at Dallas. Thank God!


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-My Naturalization Timeline-

Packet Received-----------------------------------08/29/2012
NOA via text & email from USCIS-------------------08/31/2012
Biometrics Appointment---------------------------09/19/2012
N-400 Interview-----------------------------------11/20/2012 (APPROVED)
Oath taking---------------------------------------01/16/2013

 I am now a proud American Citizen! God Bless America!














1 comment:

StaLira said...

Good luck to you. Been in your shoe late last year. Hmn...don't worry too much. It's so easy, trust me.

Anyway, found your blog whilst searching about balikbayan box. You're linked thru visajourney.